When you suffer bad breath, you feel insecure about socializing and enjoying yourself as you typically would among other people. When you cannot fix your foul breath problem on your own, you need a dentist’s help. But a dentist can help you, by showing you how to get rid of bad breath.
What Is Bad Breath?
Bad breath usually occurs as your body works to break down your food. Or you do not exercise good dental hygiene. Other causes include disease, infection, dry mouth, extreme dieting, smoking or other tobacco use. But most bad breath begins in your mouth.
Dentists also call bad breath halitosis. This problem is one that no one wants to experience. But it happens from time to time throughout your life, often signaling a problem with your health or hygiene. So to understand how to fix your problem, get to know what causes it.
Bacteria Is One Culprit in Bad Breath
Bacteria naturally grow in your mouth as part of everyday life. So much of bad breath occurs from these bacteria, such as when food becomes trapped between your teeth and along your gum line. This creates the perfect breeding ground for these bacteria.
Not cleaning your teeth and gums properly through brushing and flossing enables the bacteria to cause foul breath.
Understand how to get rid of bad breath by following these tips:
- Brush and floss your teeth as you should.
- For your best oral health and fresh breath, you must brush your teeth at least twice daily. You also must floss your teeth daily. By performing these critical steps of a quality oral health routine, you remove food particles and bacteria on your teeth, between them and beneath your gum line.
- Clean your tongue every time you brush.
- When you brush your teeth, remember always to brush your tongue, too. You can use your toothbrush or a tongue cleaner. This removes bacteria, dead cells and food particles left behind to cause bad breath.
- Stay hydrated for a moist, healthy mouth.
- Having enough saliva in your mouth is important to breaking down food debris and bacteria. So drink plenty of water throughout each day to maintain healthy levels of saliva for washing away your bad breath problems naturally.
Other Tips for How to Get Rid of Bad Breath
Besides the tips above, several other essential methods exist for helping you know how to get rid of bad breath. These include watching what you eat and visiting your dentist regularly.
Watching what you eat plays an important role because some foods naturally cause bad breath. Some foods like garlic create strong smells after you eat them. If you eat a high protein and low carbohydrate diet, you also suffer a greater likelihood of bad breath. When you do not take in enough carbs, your body burns fat instead of sugar, also causing a foul odor.
Visiting your dentist is highly essential for fresh breath. Sometimes tooth decay or other serious problems cause other health problems. So you need a range of dental services, including:
- Routine dental exams
- General dentistry
- Family dentistry
- Gingivitis treatment
- Teeth straightening with Invisalign
In Pasadena, Texas, learn more about how to get rid of bad breath by seeing your dentist at Laughlin Dental. Call Laughlin Dental now at 281-998-4916 for your first visit.